Gluten Free Custard Square
I love comfort food. Food that reminds me of my childhood. It has been 13 years since I have eaten gluten.
13 years since I have had a custard square. After a chat with a friend, I decided to try making them! They were incredible!
Instead of pastry I used Eskal Original Crackers (available at New World Supermarkets).
- Layer crackers neatly in the bottom of a 2 inch dish. Make sure crackers edges are touching.
- Make Custard and poor over crackers while hot.
- Quickly layer another layer of crackers on top
- Leave to cool and then ice with white icing.
- 8 Tablespoons Custard Powder
- 6 Tablespoons Icing Sugar
- 4 cups Milk
- 100 grams butter
- 2 eggs - beaten
In a pot, mix the sifted custard powder and icing sugar with one cup of milk to a smooth paste using a whisk. Add the remaining milk, butter and beaten egg. Heat, stirring, until the mixture is very thick.